Choosing Best Sewing Machine For Quilting Is A Daunting Task?
Every professional quilter requires a high-quality best sewing machine for quilting Similarly, large projects require more power, spacious working area, and high-speed devices for their work.
You also need a device that is reliable enough to get through more of your daily sewing. Most busy quilters find it difficult to select the best sewing machine for quilting.
The reason is that they do not have enough time to test and sort through thousands of sewing machines available in the market currently.
It’s also difficult to distinguish between the fake or low-quality machine and the dependable machines that can last for many years. In this article, you will get more detailed information about the best sewing machine for quilting.
*Note that a quilting model is just a sizable investment, and you need to be sure when making your decision.
Comparative Reviews Of Top 5 Best Sewing Machine For Quilting
1. Janome 2212- Best Sewing Machine For Quilting
Janome Company is popular because of creating a high-quality and long-lasting sewing machines.
The 2212 model is very sturdy, especially for new quilters. Most people like it due to its small budget and for professional back-up and travel sewing machine.
Janome 2212 is compact, affordable and have all features you may require to keep up in your sewing business on a tight budget.
Features of Janome 2212
If you are searching for a machine that can teach you or someone else the basics of the sewing machine in the first-hand way, you will love 2212 model.
It contains a drop feed for motion-free sewing.
The area of the table is large enough for you to do some basic quilting.
Janome 2212 is compact and small. This means that you will not have to sacrifice large space to use this machine.
The following are additional features of 2212 model;
- Free arm
- Drop feed
- 12 utility stitches
- Manual tension adjustment
- One four step buttonhole
- Two retractable spoon pins
- On board accessories storage compartment
- It is easy and simple to use. It has only two simple adjustable dials as well as standard switches. This simplified design of 2212 make it a novice-friendly sewing machine for quilting
- While it does not have many features compared to other devices, it covers all the basics. It has 12 stitches built-in that are adjustable in width and length. Also, there is a simple four-step buttonhole feature.
- The drop feed feature is a must for quilting, and Janome 2212 has it.
- It is powerful, and it works for up to 260 stitches in every minute.
- It is affordable, especially when you compare the prices with other Janome Sewing Machine Models.
- It’s not possible to adjust the needle level or foot pressure.
- The manual threading, as well as the front loading bobbin step, may be harder for newbies.
The Janome 2212 model weighs about 13 lbs. It’s, therefore, easy to pack up and carry it out of storage. It is ideal for those quilters who never have a dedicated workplace. This piece appears and feels sturdy.
The foot assembly and needle plate are all solid metal. The metal solid makes it a high-end machine. The casing of this equipment is made from hard plastic, a feature that makes it suitable for costume shops and college classrooms because it’s so rugged
2.The Brother PC420PRW, the sewing machine model
Do you need best sewing machine for quilting with all the whistles and bells?
The Brother PC420PRW, the sewing machine model, is also famous, especially for quilters who require a device having all the whistles and bells.
It’s a bit more expensive compared to Janome 2212 and has an entire range of powerful functions to validate your dream quilts.
It consists of a built-in stitch library with an astounding 294 different stitch styles. It has several lettering and custom stitches types available.
It has massive stitches library together with a wide suite of automatic features.The library makes it perfect for a highly varied quilting experience, and of course, very user-friendly equipment.
Features and Specifications of Brother PC420PRW
- Metal frame construction, 850 stitches in every minute with a LED display that is easy to use for stitch selection.
- Dual workplace lighting system.
- Excellent fabric feeding system, bobbin system, presser foot pressure that is adjustable and variable speed control system that have an illuminated stop/start feature without any foot control.
- 294 built-in stitches with ten styles of auto-size buttonholes.
- Three lettering styles.
- Simple One-handed threading system.
- 11 presser feet and a full size of accessories.
- It’s possible to make plenty of adjustments to yield a fine tune. You can adjust the pressure foot dial depending on the thickness of your material. Also, the balance wheel usually controls the needle.
- You can turn the machine into an automatic thread cutting settings. Once you activate an automatic thread cutting, the machine will cut the thread at the end of every stitch.
- You can input your desired custom stitches in the PC420PRW’s computer. When no present stitches that strike your fancy, it is possible to draw out yours using the Brother’s special Sheets.
- It has a plenty of lights to ensure that you are seeing what you are doing. The machine has two separate LED light that helps to illuminate your workplace.
- You can control the speed of this machine by sliding the gear selector.
- Despite that it is made around a metal frame, most of its internal components such as gears are made of plastic.
- Some stitch pattern is not precise compared to other machines.
The Brother Project Runway PC420PRW sewing machine has everything a quilter require.
The accessory pouch consists of usual suspects such as a package of needles, a seam ripper, a twin needle, two screwdrivers, a cleaning brush, an extra spool pin, and three spool caps.
It comes with few bonus items such as a knee lifter, an eyelet punch, a sheet for designing custom stitches, and a protective cover.
3.Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine
The 9960 Quantum Stylist machine is suitable for intermediate and beginners quilters.
It is very easy to use since it has a fast auto needle threader as well as drop-in bobbin system.
The machine also includes thirteen styles of automatic one-step buttonholes, 600 stitches, and five different fonts, particularly for those people who are interested
in monogramming their creations.
The machine offers an incredible control of stitch elongation, length, width and mirror imaging.
The mirror imaging enables you to customize the stitching to suit the requirement of the project.
Features of Singer 996- Quantum Stylist
- 13 automatic one-step buttonholes
- 600 built-in stitches
- Needle down/up button
- Automatic needle threader and cutter
- 19 Presser feet and extension table
- Sews through everything due to possible adjustment
- It sews smoothly with a good, straight stitches
- The thread cutter of this machine is very convenient
- It has many stitches to choose from, and you will never run out of choices.
- It’s convenient to control the operation of the sewing machine such as Stop/Start button, and the speed control.
- It also includes a money-saving bundle of presser feet.
- The plastic bobbin cover is loose and may come off too quickly.
- No knee lifter which makes it a handy equipment appreciated by many advanced quilters.
When was your last time to use best sewing machine for quilting that turned out fast, consistently winning, and surprising results?
Most people say that a good product is known for its excellent features and Singer Quantum 9960 machine has an entire broad array of them.
The Singer Quantum’s stitch editing abilities enable you to control the pattern of stitch to look exactly through mirror imaging and elongation.
4.Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine
The PQ1500SL High-speed sewing and quilting machine is a powerhouse that is specifically designed for quilters.
You will be surprised by the features of this device such as auto needle positioner. It has a knee lever, responsible for lifting the presser foot.
This equipment is so handy, especially when you require a large room and also keep your hands free to move your fabric.
It’s heavy, which is a must, particularly if you work with lots of thick fabric or large quilts.
Using this machine, you will have no trouble working with various layers of material since its motor is very powerful. In fact, it can sew up to 1500 stitches in every minute.
Features of Brother PQ1500SL Sewing Machine
- Includes 12 x 18-inches Extension table
- Retractable Drop Feed Dog Control
- Up to 1500 Stitches in every minute
- Push-button Thread Trimmers
- Knee lever
- Auto Needle Positioner
- Built-in Auto needle threader
- It is incredibly powerful. The machine baby cranks out 1500 stitches in a minute. This means that your quilts will be made quicker than other. In facts, it’s twice the speed of Janome or smaller Brother and makes an excellent choice for most people who earn their living through quilting.
- When using the PQ1500S Sewing machine, you will compensate for various fabric, textures, and fills because it has four feed dog height adjustment.
- It has a built-in knee lever that easily lifts and lowers the presser foot. The gear makes your hands free to remove or reposition your fabric. It helps you work steadily, instead of stopping and starting every time you want to make any adjustment.
- It has an extra-large extension table. The table provides you with a large room to create. Furthermore, there are some measurements marked on the extension table to assist you to maintain everything in line as you sew up to scale.
- The PQ1500S has a convenient thread tension dial that helps in making adjustments. The thread tension dial feature is ideally designed for advanced quilters who understand which little tweaks may help things go steadily and smoothly. It’s also easier to prevent runs and jams compared to working on a smaller Brother sewing machine.
- It has an automated lower and upper thread cutting.
- It does not have onscreen which many people prefer.
- It only has straight stitches.
- It does not have thread sensor and also, no built-in memory.
One thing that makes this best sewing machine for quilting so attractive is its ability to control the Retractable Drop Feed Dog.
In facts, it gives you four levels of adjustment that you may implement to control the feed dog as well as the presser foot pressure.
5.Juki TL-2000qi Quilting and Sewing Machine
Are you serious about sewing and quilting? Well, then Juki TL-2000qi is best sewing machine for quilting you need to consider. Juki Company is popularly known for producing high-quality sewing machines, and the TL-2000qi model is not any different.
The Juki TL-2000qi model is a real workhouse. It attains a speed of up to 1500 stitches in every minute.
Juki sewing machine has an auto needle threader.
It has an aluminum die-cast frame that is responsible for the reduction of vibration, especially when you are working on it.
If you select this machine, you will also discover that the stitch quality consistently delivers may surpass your expectations.
The best sewing machine for quilting produces perfect results, particularly with any stitch you want it to perform. It produces the results efficiently and quickly.
Features and Specification of Juki TL-2000qi Sewing Machine
- It’s updated with one pedal operation and LED light that illuminates the working area.
- 1500 Stitches in every minute for home decor and quilting operation
- Automatic Needle Threader (bobbin threads and trim needles at the sewing end)
- Extensive table and Aluminum die cast arm to reduce the vibration when working. Approximately 23 x 13-inches extension table.
- Drop feed: the drop feed dogs are raised and lowered through a stitch
- About 9-inches between the arm and needle. It’s responsible for handling large quilts.
- 12mm high knee presser foot lift
- 9-mm high lever presser foot lift on the machine
- Microcomputer controlled speed mechanism
- Very high speed for sewing.
- Well-made, Sturdy, and reliable
- Perfect tension and stitches
- It has a presser knee lever
- It has a large sewing table
- It’s smooth at high speed
- It has a thread trimming foot switch
- Relatively expensive
- No zig-zag stitch, only straight stitches
The TL-2000Qi is fast and powerful. It has the ability of sewing through the very thick fabric and also multiple layers of fabric.
In fact, it is also capable of sewing through multiple layers of denim. However, there are no fancy stitches.
It usually makes perfect straight stitches. This sewing machine is not light. However, it does not have the weight of other real commercial sewing machines. It is moderate and small enough to enhance portability.
So, which is the best machine among them?
Well, as mentioned in the above best sewing machines for quilting, the Brother Project Runway is the perfect option for those quilters who like more automatic features.
It has more convenient with little touches and makes the quilting process much less. It also assists you to cover ground quickly. For those buyers in budget or newbies, we recommend Janome.
If you are working on a large fabric scale, note that the more space you have to spread out the material, the better. Purchase a large sewing machine if you can fit it on your countertop or table.
How To Buy Best Sewing Machine For Quilting?
If you want to try sewing, or you have been out for some time, and you want to come back, then you must read this ultimate
best sewing machine for quilting buying guide. First, before you purchase a sewing machine, it’s wise to think about the purpose of your device.
Basic clothing construction and repair do not need a state-of-the-art or computerized sewing and quilting machines.
However, purchasing the cheapest model available in the market can prevent you from growing your skills beyond the basics.
Having that in mind, you have to consider the following factors before purchasing any sewing machine, may it be for a primary, intermediate or advanced purpose.
Factors to consider before purchasing a sewing machine
Drop-in or Top-loading bobbins typically have a transparent cover. Therefore, it’s possible to see the number of threads that are left without necessarily opening the machine.
The two bobbins are also easier to replace and remove. On the other hand, Front0-loaading bobbins are accessible on the front side of the sewing machine.
The Front-loading bobbins can be somehow thicker, particularly if have your work surface attached.
2.Adjustable tension and Needle Threader
Various fabrics and types of thread need different adjustable tension to attain the best results. Different strength of stitches based on the project you are undertaking is critical.
If you are choosing a sewing machine, any real machine has adjustable tension. However, some inexpensive quilting machine models do not have this feature.
On the other hand, the needle threader, often known as the automatic needle threader may not be automatic as that name suggest.
They are useful for those people with less-than-perfect eyesight. About all sewing, machine models work on a similar principle, but some might be thicker than others to operate.
If you have any dexterity issues, you may try them out.
3.Buttonholes and number of stitches
It is good to test and have a practice on making a buttonhole because there is nothing worse than spending a lot of your time on the garment, only to complete a row of improper button holes.
* Note, do not be fooled by the word “automatic” since it is sometimes not that straightforward.
On the number of stitches, this is where understanding what your machine.
To get started or for beginners, you only require a zigzag and a straight stitch. Most sewing machine available in the market comes with slightly more than that as standard.
However, the more stitches a machine have, the higher its prices, and of course, you can pay something you will never use.
4.Repair and lessons
Before you purchase any sewing machine, find out whether you can return it to the seller or manufacturer for redress.
Also, consider the warranty of your sewing machine in case of malfunction. If not, where will you take your device for repair? It is also a good idea to search if the machine spare parts are available.
On the other hand, take the full benefits of lessons offered by either the retailer or the manufacturer. Even if you want to buy a standard machine, you will receive some tips that can advance your skills.
For more expensive, complicated and sophisticated sewing machine, lessons are a must. Before you buy your best sewing machine for quilting, have a play with it.
Also, most retailers must be able to demonstrate the usefulness of various equipment features and allow you to have a go and check whether you are buying the best machine for your level! View More On Janome HD3000 Mechanical Stitching System Review
[wpsm_comparison_table id=”1″ class=””]